About The Saturday Chef

Midwest, United States
I am NOT a professional chef. I am what I affectionately dub a Saturday Chef—a weekend warrior of the culinary variety, fortified by the education I have gleaned from two high school cooking classes, the Food Network and my own gastronomical experiments. While I’m not ashamed to spend all day making bagels by hand, and proudly call myself a foodie, I’m not a food snob. I enjoy an Extra Value Meal as much as the next girl. My culinary escapades are still relegated to the weekends, but my love for cooking is stronger than ever, galvanized by more successes than failures, and the beautiful fact that the more I cook, the more people there are to feed. So please stay tuned for fun recipes, inevitable disasters and hopefully, a lot of good food.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Saturday Chef's Gold Medal Cinnamon Toffee Cookies

I probably should have warned all…six (!!!) of you that I am a ridiculous, over-the-top, obsessive compulsive Olympics fan, especially the winter games. Every four years, I live to cheer on Bode Miller, Julia Mancuso and especially, Apolo Anton Ohno. Until they are over, I am useless. Instead of cooking, I watched all of the 865 hours of Olympic coverage, save a few hours for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies because not even the healthcare-lovin’, weed-smokin’ Canadians can top the awe-inspiring spectacle of China’s opening opus.

Alas, the medals have been handed out. Hockey games have been played. Dreams have been both dashed and achieved. Those stupid montages have made me cry. And all over the world, thousands of athletes are scarfing down pizza and nachos and cake. So, it’s back to all things culinary.

These little cookies deserve a gold medal of their own. I am not the biggest fan of baking as I am cooking. But a cookie is a blank canvas, a round of inspiration with its confetti of chips or nuts or candies. Chocolate chips are just the beginning of what could go into a cookie. Adding buttery toffee and spicy, cinnamon elevates a classic cookie to Olympic levels of deliciousness.

 
Photobucket
 
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups toffee bits

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir the mixture with a fork to break up any lumps.

In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping and mixing after each one. Beat in flour mixture in increments. Add toffee and mix until just combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in toffee.

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets lined with parchment paper. The toffee is sticky and this will save you a lot of scrubbing. Also cool on racks or parchment.

Cookies will bake a bit flat. Let them bake for about 11 to 13 minutes. If cookies seem soft, leave them on the sheet for a few minutes.

Store in air tight container.

Note: The cinnamon flavor may seem subtle in the batter and immediately after cookies are baked, but it will intensify after a day or so.

Credit: Adapted from the Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment